8 Things A Bad Relationship Taught Me About Entrepreneurship



I do not know about you or your story but I have a wild guess that you have your own narration of hurt and despair coming from the direction where you invested your all. 

On 15thOctober a year ago I met my fate: got dumped by someone I spent two years running after. I lived and worked in Entebbe, very close to where she studied and worked. 

After that heart-wrecking announcement she stayed in-touch; often asking for favours, telling me about her ex-boyfriend trying to win her back, liking and sharing nearly every Facebook post of mine and taking every opportunity to show workmates and our mutual friends that we were (still) an item.

After realizing something was weird about our (friendship), I initiated a meeting, reiterated my disquiet about the impact of the (fake) public displays of love on our public image. The following day I deleted all the text messages between us, blocked her on Facebook and started working till late so as to erase the memories of our after-work routines.
 
This came at a very hard time in my life; our company was bleeding, faced with a cash-flow crisis that required an equivalent of two months revenue to put back to normal. As founder and head of four other staff at Dreamstar Graphics I thought I had no choice but to keep moving forward.

Two weeks later our problems had only increased with another month ending without clients meeting their obligations, I was hurt; my workmates were in pain over delayed salaries, we were losing it. I took a Saturday afternoon off, went to the lakeside alone and returned to start life over again. What followed were major staffing changes and a doubling of revenue in the 30 days that followed. 

But as has already been said by many; lesson is what you get when you miss what you wanted. Here below are the eight lessons a heart break taught me to be a better 25 year old at business.

     1.      Finding & retaining customers take time and consistency

Most people that fail in business give up too soon. They expect that since they have the capital, all the skills and all the resources, everyone shall give them money. Getting and keeping a true customer will always take a good deal of time; creating a relationship and feeding it. Patience is key when it comes to building clientele.

When I first met this girl at her workplace over a year before I asked her out, she declined to give neither her name nor number to strangers. I kept talking nicely whenever we met and twelve months later, we were friends on Facebook, making late night phone calls, walking home every evening, sacrificing time to be with her, the rest is history. 

It took me all this to get a partner who wasn’t, I now know getting and keeping the true one will require even more effort, never give up too soon.

     2.      Being better is no guarantee of success in  business and life

Many times entrepreneurs make the mistake of assuming that being the most talented, qualified or gifted in a particular industry or category is what it takes to win all the juicy contracts and earn the most money. Some of the organisations that have contracted us in the past year said they chose us because our prices were lower and our system was simpler than for bigger service providers. In cases like that, the clients turn down offers from the very entities we look up to, leaving us wondering how business will be for us when we really get there.

The very first time I asked this girl out she said, “I honestly like you but see, I look up to you for inspiration, you are like my boss (a 60 year old pensioner), I just can’t imagine myself being your girlfriend”. Her (other) boyfriend was a lazy young man who never liked to work. Much as he was older than I, I was both self-employed and employing some of their former classmates; sadly I’m the one that got kicked in the ass (first).

     3.      There are friends and there are customers

In brief: entrepreneurs are the kings and queens of relationship problems; they easily get taken away by emotional favours. They are used to the “something for something” concept that when a person seems to have gone out of their way to show them sympathy or care they get overwhelmed. 

One very confusing thing in this industry is to separate a customer from a friend. Some people call you friend to get discounts and have a chance to delay payments; others call you friend when they have decided to slap you in the face: sorry my FRIEND, we will do that later. 

But friends I have come to learn are the people who genuinely share with you in the matters on table. If a customer tries so hard to make prompt payments always, to make orders whenever you have delivered samples then maybe they are a friend, if they just call you say so, may be they are just a customer, not friend.

In the build up to the relationship my girl did so many silly things I ignored partly because of ignorance. She at times called to ask me to lend her money (what!). I later found out most of the time she had asked to borrow, she wanted to help her broke-lazy-class-mate-boyfriend.

After sealing my fate, she asked that we stay friends but continued trying so hard to give the impression that I was taken (by her).She was preventing me from seeking happiness anywhere else. When the veil on my face fell off I realized I couldn’t effectively date any time sooner so I took a 12 month time off; no expectation of hugs, kisses, surprise visits or ‘somethings’. 

      4.      Be prepared for the worst because it will come

“Always plan for the fact that nothing ever goes according to plan”, this quote from my leadership mentor Simon Sinek keeps bouncing in my head whenever I’m planning and executing. Every business plan we make as business people misses this particular detail. We make success strategies and great projections but say barely if anything about failure yet the risk of not hitting our targets is equal to the chance of succeeding.

All the times I have gone out in marketing routines before I spend lots of money in travels and samples but because I have never planned for what would happen in case the client or prospect  didn’t make an order within the next 30 days. Some have taken forever to order and by the time my eyes finally open, I am the fool in the deal already.

Throughout this time, campus girl showed she was trying to give an impression that she was studying me and as soon as she would be done, a relationship would be turned on. I sacrificed, I invested, I slept, I waited like she would come and settle. I was too confident to think about the possibility of failure; I was naive and got to pay the price when the worst finally came. 

5. Value your time, because customers may not

Some people say business is a gamble and it is true but what is not any way. The 1950 book the death of a salesman is my constant reminder of waiting too long for fate to come, to be appreciated and rewarded by the people you work so hard to impress. 

In my own quest for business success, I’ve met my own “death of a businessman” when my futile attempt to make business gets me bashed. Some clients will simply say, don’t think so much about the money, let us just work. At the end of the day it’s obvious who of us fails to pay bills and who doesn’t, the fool.

I have learned my lesson, if you do not value your time, if you do not have limits of what you can and cannot do to a customer in your little time, others might not and your business will die, theirs will stay alive. It sounds harsh but it’s the reality.

From the onset of our friendship, my partner knew she was yet to move on from someone, when we were together and he called she would lie, be rude at him or decline to take the call altogether. When she had got enough from me she could do the same. Nobody tells you they want to waste your time; it is up to you to figure it out.

      6.      Pay attention to little signals: non-commitment

Call me tomorrow, come back on Wednesday, I will call you; - endless promises and excuses are just that, do not hope too much. One other mistake we make as young people in business is we take people’s statements too seriously and ignore the signals in their actions. 

A client who never commits is not your client, be there at your own peril. Even just a weak hand-shake, no-looking you in the eye, failure to call-back, return texts, emails or make correspondence on any communication is evidence enough that there is no serious business to hold on to.

Some people will undress for you and still say we’re just friends. Do you expect anyone to tell you they are a player or detoother? Lesson; in business like in relationships you ought see things for yourself or wait for your burial.

       7.      Business can kill your other relationships

People will tell you not to mix business with friendship but won’t tell you not to borrow for business from friends, why? It always fools business people into listening to their business friends much more than they hear from their childhood friends. 

Our childhood friends have us at heart; our business friends have our mutual interests in mind, sometimes their own interests and not a bit of ours.

Black beauty found time to go out with one of my subordinates. For fear of being discovered he rushed to report: she made a move on me yet I really respect you, she said. Not once, not twice did the two tempt me to be the judge over who’s more loyal and who wasn’t. Each party presented their evidence and as you might suspect, none gave a complete account of their affair.

Had it not been for the confidence I had in myself I would have broken a man or even the woman. Later I discovered the guy liked the girl and indeed made a move but just as she played me, she gave him the impression of, “let me think about it” and played on.

      8.      You will be cheated

Honestly it is very hard to plan for the amount of monies you might lose to cheats in business, they just happen. Being cheated by 10 people in 8 months helped me confirm that just as it is in relationships, there is infidelity happens quite often in business but also aided me in confirming that it is never the end.

Some clients will avoid buying from you for as long as they owe you money because at such times you are a liability in their lives. Some will just get the concepts from you, game around until you get tired and give up then they sell it to someone else and do business behind your back.

The dating experience was no different: when at my place her phone would be ‘out of battery power’ and when she was away to a place I didn’t know, her phone would be ‘out of battery power’. At one time I asked to charge the battery but she said, "no, don’t mind, if my phone is on people will disturb me". 

After everything happened though, life went on, I’m looking forward, still looking forward.

Thank you for sticking with me to the very end of this article.
 How do you feel about this piece?
 
Stephen Obeli Someday
Twitter: @StephenObeli

Comments